"Dressing for a day in the office - even if your couch is now your office - is a psychological hack to turn on productivity mode."
You may be working from home this week - we are too, and I'm currently sending this from my makeshift workspace at home in NYC. The Laws of Motion team wanted to share some of our best practices for working from home, including balancing your routine, getting dressed-ish for the day, and ideas for DIY standing desks.
We are a team of women who exist to fuel the ambitions of other women, and are dedicated to continuing to motivate and support our community. We hope you find our WFH content helpful, and please let us know what else you would like us to share by DMing us @lawsofmotion or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Routine. Routine. Routine.
- Start your workday strong by planning your day the night before.
- Achieve a quick win first thing in the morning by making your bed (link to one of our favorite short reads on this topic is linked below!)
- Lean on your calendar to schedule both work to-do’s and mini breaks to stay on track. To combat procrastination, we embrace the “2-minute rule”: If it takes less than 2 minutes, then do it now.
Polished on top, PJs on bottom.
- Dressing for a day in the office - even if your couch is now your office - is a psychological hack to turn on productivity mode.
- We recommend balancing comfort with confidence-inspired staples. Try pairing the Vice with your favorite sweatpants, or the Alpha with your favorite slippers.
- Use this as an opportunity to hit reset for your skin and hair. Follow your skincare and hair routine and optimize for the less is more approach. We’re reaching for tinted moisturizer instead of foundation and a natural air dry instead of a full blow dry.
We get 86,400 seconds in a day. Let's make the most of them!
- Intentionally replace your normal commute time (for some of us this is 1-2 hours per day!) with something productive that brings you joy.
- To get ideas, start by reviewing your New Year's resolutions. Are there any resolutions that have fallen to the wayside? If so, then now is their time to shine.
- One of our favorite ways to repurpose our commuting time is to catch up with loved ones. Schedule a FaceTime or two to catch up on check-ins with friends and family.
Lead from the living room.
- Creating a dedicated workspace is crucial for keeping productivity and morale high. Perspective is a powerful thing - don’t be afraid to move a piece of furniture around to create the feeling of a new space in your home.
- Keep your space distraction free; replace your loud, disruptive TV with peaceful lo-fi beats or classical music (our favorite Yo-Yo Ma recommendation linked below!).
- Sharing your workspace with roommates, a significant other, or kids? Have an honest conversation about boundaries, including scheduling time to connect throughout the day.
Random: Did you know the inclusion of plants in a workspace contributes to productivity increases of 40+%? No? That’s because we totally made that statistic up, but we genuinely think plants and flowers help to liven things up. Add some greenery (and a smile!) to your workspace.
A woman in motion (mentally and physically!) will remain in motion.
- There’s no time to get stir crazy. Schedule an at-home workout each day and take advantage of the essentials you have around you. Our go-tos include planks, jumping jacks, and lunges - great full-body moves that take-up minimal space and time.
- We’ve all admired that friend in tech who posts from her standing desk. We’re creating our own DIY standing desks with fireplace mantles, strategically stacked furniture, and a well-crafted pile of books. Try it out, and tag @lawsofmotion in your standing desk solutions!
- Staying in motion isn’t only physically. Keep being a force at whatever you choose to do and inspiring your team with a healthy and happy mindset. We’ve got this!
Lastly, here are three things that are inspiring us this week:
- The book Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life…And Maybe the World (linked to Amazon here)
- The playlist Six Evolutions - Bach: Cello Suites featuring Yo-Yo Ma (linked to Spotify here)
- This meme, shared by Laws Legend and CEO of Spanx Sara Blakely:
Follow along on Instagram @lawsofmotion for more from our team on a daily basis, and check out our second Legend feature, launching tomorrow. Email email@example.com to share what else you'd like to hear from us, and please continue to follow local and national recommendations for social distancing. Shoulders back, chin up, we’ve got this!
Laws of Motion Team
Laws of Motion exists to fuel women’s ambitions with confidence-inspired looks that are made to fit you perfectly using zero waste. The Legend celebrates our community of Laws Legends - women who are forces at whatever they choose to do, and who inspire with their relentless pursuit of passion. Read on to learn about these Legends and let us know who we should feature next by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.